Many people and companies switched to working from home instead of going into an office each day with the onset and spread of COVID-19. Today, a large part of the workforce continues to work at home, which means they need somewhere to work and set up their laptop and other equipment.
With the right home office setup in place, you’ll not only feel happier and healthier but you’ll get more done working from home! It’s in your best interest to think through your workspace and how you want it to look and feel. We understand it can be a tricky task if you’re not an interior designer or home office designer so we’ve put together this guide to help you out and walk you through each step.
What You Need in Your Home Office
For starters, you’ll require essentially the same equipment and supplies you would at a physical office. Think about what has and hasn’t worked for you in previous offices and don’t be afraid to try a new approach. Regardless of who you are or what you do, you’ll want to have the basic elements included in your home office setup.
Here are some ideas and tips:
- Computer: You will want to have your own laptop or computer readily available to use in your home office daily. If you don’t have one to use, then research your options and secure one as quickly as possible.
- WiFi: Now is the time to get internet access at your home if you don’t have it already or to look into upgrading your speed.
- Adjustable/Standing desk: You will require somewhere to sit and work and your computer needs somewhere to exist as well. You want to avoid having to work from your kitchen counter or on your lap from the couch. Now is a great opportunity to try a standing desk or sit stand desk, which offers many health and wellness benefits.
- Ergonomic chair: You’ll want to invest in a chair that provides good back support and doesn’t cause you aches and pains. It’s best to get an adjustable ergonomic desk chair so you can avoid back pain and feel comfortable all day.
- Accessories and supplies: Consider what other supplies and accessories you need to be successful working at home such as computer paper, filing cabinets, and noise-canceling headphones.
The Ideal Way to Set Up Your Home Office
So, what is the best way to set up your home office? Take into account your job or role as well as the space that you have available to use and work with at home. Ideally, you should try to have a dedicated workspace or room you can retreat to daily that has a door you can shut and natural light. You may be sitting and standing or moving around on phone calls so make sure there is plenty of room to maneuver. You can also keep active by investing in a standing desk for your home office.
Getting Set Up: Location & Equipment
You might also be wondering where exactly you should put your home office and what other equipment you’ll need to have ready to go. A guest room or extra bedroom is probably your top choice and best option. This way you’ll likely have a door you can shut and natural light beaming in. If you're limited on space then go with whatever area or room will work best for you and where you can concentrate and be productive.
As far as equipment goes, here are some items you’ll need to secure:
- Height adjustable desk: You’ll want to have a desk that you can adjust to the right height and one where you have the option to sit or stand if you want. A sit stand desk can ensure you are staying active and avoiding living a sedentary lifestyle as you work from home.
- Ergonomic chairs: You will want to also have a chair that has flexibility and can be adjusted accordingly. An ergonomic chair is a great choice and will be very comfortable when you are sitting during the day.
- Monitors and stands: Plan to have multiple monitors and stands in your home office if possible. It’s especially important if you’re used to working on more than one screen in the office. The right standing and ergonomic desk can provide you with plenty of space and levels for ensuring you have plenty of room for your equipment and to work.
- Storage Space & Organisation: It’s also important that you keep your home office clean and tidy if you want to get more done working from home. Remove clutter, invest in file cabinets if necessary, and check out our desk cable organisers that will be helpful.
Tips for Having A Productive Day & Get More Done
Stay on a schedule and routine if you want to have a productive day and get more done working from home. Try to get up early and dive into the more challenging tasks right away. Be sure to take breaks and eliminate possible distractions as well. Most importantly, designate your own workspace and take the time to set it up and decorate it. You want your space to be comfortable and make you feel inspired. Avoid sitting all day and improve your health by choosing a standing desk and ergonomic chair for when it’s time to sit.
Ways to Improve Your Home Office Set Up
You can improve your office even further by focusing on the lighting. Pick a spot with natural light if possible and then have other lighting solutions available such as an overhead light, lamps, and candles. Make it feel like home by painting the walls, getting organised, and hanging a vision board or two. Finally, consider a sit stand desk so that you can boost your wellbeing and keep active so that you give yourself the chance of being as productive as possible.
We have all the supplies and equipment you need to get started setting up your home office, so we encourage you to take a look around our website and at our products and reach out with any questions.